Excellent time management skills are essential for startup and small business owners. With this, you will have more tasks you can complete. For an employer, this skill is crucial to ensure that your business will reach its full potential. It will help you achieve your desired goal. With the tips that we will mention below, we can guarantee that you will have more time available to fulfill the needs of your business. You will also have time to invest in improving yourself.
Time Management Skills Tips for the Business Owners
The work ethics and the values of the key people in the company will directly impact the company’s culture. Most of the time, it also influences the viability of the business. With good time management skills, you can enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of your small company.
Planning the Work: Good Time Management Skills
Having a plan before you start with a project is one of the effective time management skills. In business, you will understand that planning and scheduling would be a redundant and ongoing activity. However, the best time for you to plan is at the end of business hours. With this, you will have a better view of the more essential tasks first thing in the morning. It prevents you from losing focus and getting interrupted. If you don’t plan, you will notice that your time will be spent on tasks that your freelancers and employees can do.
Prioritize the More Urgent
Nowadays, customers expect something more from business owners. They want to interact with you through social media and other platforms. If you consider the number of works that you will do, it can easily overwhelm you. Here are some effective time management skills that you can use.
- Eisenhower Method- In this method, you will mark the task as urgent, not urgent, important, and not important. Important and urgent tasks need to be done immediately.
- ABC Method- It involves ranking the urgency and importance of your task by labeling them with A, B, and C. Start by doing tasks that belong in the A-1 category, then A-2, and so on.
- Pareto Analysis- This method is also known as the 80/20 rule. With this method, you can do 20% of the critical task to generate 80% of the return.
Delegation of Responsibilities
Delegating responsibilities should also be included in time management skills tips. However, it is also one of the most challenging to do for a business owner. Nonetheless, you have to acknowledge that it is essential to reduce your stress and save time. To make it easier for you, try to organize your tasks and responsibilities first.
- Tasks you need to do.
- Duties that you can do but other staff can do.
- Jobs assigned to others but requires your help to finish.
- Work that your employees can do without any help.
Finally, you should also reduce your distractions; otherwise, you can easily ignore the more crucial task. It would be best if you had better control of your business environment. Restrict access to some work areas and avoid personal distractions such as answering the phones and emails. Even regaining your focus after being distracted takes a significant amount of your time. Follow the suggestions we mentioned here, and your time management skills will improve dramatically.